In 1848, Queen Victoria and Prince Albert purchased Balmoral Castle in the Highlands of Scotland. Victoria, enchanted with Scottish design, began wearing tartan plaids to royal events. She also commissioned jewelry made with indigenous Scottish stones (agate and cairngorm) and elaborately chased with Celtic or natural themes. Once HRH - the arbiter of 19th century style - was seen wearing these Scottish jewels in London, fashionable Victorian women would have instantly recognized the style as a reference to the Queen's beloved country home and high-tailed it to the nearest jeweler to get a piece of Scottish "pebble" jewelry of their own. This pendant is made in the shape of a crown and shield with a red and green jasper sword.